How does diet affect heart disease?

Dr. Suzanne R. Steinbaum, DO
Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

What and how we eat is essential to maintaining a healthy heart; a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, nuts, legumes, whole grains and fish is ideal. Watch cardiologist Suzanne Steinbaum, DO, explain the why a healthy diet is key to heart health.

Several aspects of peoples' dietary patterns have been linked to heart disease and related conditions. These include diets high in saturated fats and cholesterol, which raise blood cholesterol levels and promote atherosclerosis. High salt or sodium in the diet causes raised blood pressure levels.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease

Risk of Cardiac Arrest May Be Raised by Ibuprofen, Finds New Study
It's long been known that there's a link between ibuprofen and heart problems. But a new study from Denmark shows just how strong that connection migh...
How are young people screened for heart disease?
Vivek Sailam, MDVivek Sailam, MD
There are clinics where cardiologists screen young adults and athletes for heart disease. The Americ...
6 Heart-Healthy Habits for Women That Truly Make a Difference
6 Heart-Healthy Habits for Women That Truly Make a Difference6 Heart-Healthy Habits for Women That Truly Make a Difference6 Heart-Healthy Habits for Women That Truly Make a Difference6 Heart-Healthy Habits for Women That Truly Make a Difference
Heart disease rates have been dropping steadily for everyone but younger women. Here’s how to reverse that trend.
What Type of Diet Should I Follow If I Have Heart Disease?