How is heart disease linked with lack of sleep?

Dr. Michael Breus, PhD
Psychology Specialist

The Brits released a study showing that people who do not get enough sleep are more than twice as likely to die of heart disease.

This came after a seventeen-year study. Although the reasons are unclear, researchers think it’s related to increased blood pressure, which is known to raise the risk of heart attacks and stroke. The researchers were quick to point out that a third of the United Kingdom’s population clocks fewer than five hours a night. And it’s even worse in the U.S. where more than 40 percent of us regularly sleep less than five hours nightly.

Dr. George P. Heyrich, MD
Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

We know that there may be a direct correlation between sleep deprivation and cardiovascular disease. We know that untreated sleep apnea increases your risk of developing an arrhythmia like atrial fibrillation. We also know that sleep apnea is associated with high blood pressure and by treating sleep apnea, we can help prevent atrial fibrillation and help control blood pressure. With sleep apnea, when you stop breathing for that period of time, the oxygen levels in the blood can fall and that’s thought to be the provoker of irregular heart beating. That can also cause severe problems like sudden death in people who do have underlying heart disease. It’s recommended that Americans get 6-8 hours of sleep each night, but research shows, that isn’t happening.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease

When to Worry About Chest Pain
When to Worry About Chest Pain
Sometimes chest pain is just chest pain. Sometimes it’s only a muscle strain, heartburn or bronchitis. “More often than not there are benign reasons,”...
Why is it important to identify my risk factors for heart disease early?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
Risk factors for heart disease include: aging high blood pressure high cholesterol tobacco use...
The Ultimate Guide to Reversing Heart Disease
The Ultimate Guide to Reversing Heart DiseaseThe Ultimate Guide to Reversing Heart DiseaseThe Ultimate Guide to Reversing Heart DiseaseThe Ultimate Guide to Reversing Heart Disease
Stop the leading cause of death in its tracks with simple lifestyle changes.
What Should I Discuss With My Doctor About My Heart Medications?