Will I need a stent if I have a blocked artery?

Patients don't necessarily need a stent if they have a blockage because there are other treatment options, such as surgery.

Doctors consider a significant arterial blockage to be a blockage of greater than 70 percent. If you have a 30 to 40 percent blockage, doctors would recommend treating you with a statin drug and aspirin because people with 30 to 40 percent blockages don’t necessarily need stents. Stents will not save your life unless you’re having a heart attack.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease Treatment

Is High-Intensity, Interval Exercise Safe for Heart Patients?
For the last several decades, cardiologists and exercise physiologists have recommended regular aerobic exercise to improve cardiac function and lower...
Is there a cure for cardiovascular infection?
Cardiovascular infection may be cured with immediate and aggressive treatment. When left untreated, ...
What is the best question I can ask about a referred cardiologist?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
Ask, “Do you trust this doctor enough to send your own family to her?” This question works well whet...
Why Is Heart Disease Harder to Treat in Women?