What do cardiothoracic surgeons do?

Cardiothoracic surgeons operate on diseases that occur in the organs inside the chest and in the bony structures and tissues that form the chest cavity. Coronary artery disease is one of the most common diseases treated by cardiothoracic surgeons. General thoracic surgeons treat primarily lung cancer and diseases of the esophagus and chest wall. Congenital heart surgeons care for babies and children with holes between the heart chambers or abnormal connections within the heart.

This content originally appeared online in "The Patient Guide to Heart, Lung, and Esophageal Surgery" from the Society of Thoracic Surgery.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease Treatment

how should i manage my heart medications ?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Here are some tips to help you manage your heart medications: Don't skip a dose or stop taking me...
should my other medical conditions affect my choice of heart treatment ?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
Some studies have suggested that surgery may be a better treatment for heart disease in people w...
is there a cure for shock ?
Immediate medical attention is the best treatment for shock. Necessary treatment will reduce the dam...
which medical professionals treat structural heart disease ?
SCAISCAI
Structural heart disease is any defect, present at birth or acquired later in life, in the heart mus...