How should I communicate with my healthcare team about my heart disease?

If you have heart disease, you are the most important part of your healthcare team. You'll need to communicate with everyone on the team and be involved in your care from the very beginning. Here are some tips:

• Ask questions! Write questions down as you think of them, and don't be afraid to ask them.
  • Give honest feedback. Your input about your symptoms, side effects or health history can help providers tell if your treatment is on track.
  • Keep your appointments. Follow-up is crucial. Use appointments to ask questions and clarify your care plan. Take notes (or take someone with you to take notes).
  • Follow your care plan. Discuss what tests or treatments you may need and why they are important. Tell all care providers about all medications you are taking. Agree on steps you will take to help your heart. Ask about your progress and when you need to follow up next.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease Treatment

Ask the Experts: Heart Disease Treatment
Treatment for heart disease is determined by the specific cause. In this video, Kevin Soden, MD, reveals common treatment options for heart disease, i...
What is the best question I can ask about a referred cardiologist?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
Ask, “Do you trust this doctor enough to send your own family to her?” This question works well whet...
Is there a cure for heart abnormalities?
Treatments for heart abnormalities may restore normal functioning of the heart, but in many cases th...
Why Is Heart Disease Harder to Treat in Women?