How should I communicate with my healthcare team about my heart disease?

If you have heart disease, you are the most important part of your healthcare team. You'll need to communicate with everyone on the team and be involved in your care from the very beginning. Here are some tips:

• Ask questions! Write questions down as you think of them, and don't be afraid to ask them.
  • Give honest feedback. Your input about your symptoms, side effects or health history can help providers tell if your treatment is on track.
  • Keep your appointments. Follow-up is crucial. Use appointments to ask questions and clarify your care plan. Take notes (or take someone with you to take notes).
  • Follow your care plan. Discuss what tests or treatments you may need and why they are important. Tell all care providers about all medications you are taking. Agree on steps you will take to help your heart. Ask about your progress and when you need to follow up next.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease Treatment

Is High-Intensity, Interval Exercise Safe for Heart Patients?
For the last several decades, cardiologists and exercise physiologists have recommended regular aerobic exercise to improve cardiac function and lower...
What are the possible benefits of an electrophysiology (EP) study?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Potential benefits of an electrophysiology (EP) study are: Compared with other tests, it provide...
How has heart disease treatment improved?
SCAISCAI
If you have not kept up to date with changes in the field of cardiovascular care, you might think of...
Sneak Peek: Biggest Medical Breakthroughs