If I have cardiovascular disease, will I need to be less active?

Whether or not you will any physical limitations depends on the severity and seriousness of your condition. Your doctor may place activity limitations on you if physical activity causes discomfort or aggravates your symptoms. If your situation is not severe, your doctor may not limit what you can do; in more serious situations, your doctor may limit any extra physical activity other than the activities of daily living. It is important to talk to your doctor about physical activity and your cardiovascular disease. Cardiac rehabilitation may reduce your need for physical limitations. Exercise is important to a healthy heart, but it can also cause problems if you have a heart condition.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease Treatment

Is High-Intensity, Interval Exercise Safe for Heart Patients?
For the last several decades, cardiologists and exercise physiologists have recommended regular aerobic exercise to improve cardiac function and lower...
What happens if heart valve disease is left untreated?
The Medical Center of AuroraThe Medical Center of Aurora
If heart valve disease is left untreated, the outcome can be serious, which is why doctors follow pa...
How is type A aortic dissection treated?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Type A dissection is an emergency that requires rapid diagnosis and surgical intervention. An Aor...
Why Is Heart Disease Harder to Treat in Women?