If I have cardiovascular disease, will I need to be less active?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Whether or not you will any physical limitations depends on the severity and seriousness of your condition. Your doctor may place activity limitations on you if physical activity causes discomfort or aggravates your symptoms. If your situation is not severe, your doctor may not limit what you can do; in more serious situations, your doctor may limit any extra physical activity other than the activities of daily living. It is important to talk to your doctor about physical activity and your cardiovascular disease. Cardiac rehabilitation may reduce your need for physical limitations. Exercise is important to a healthy heart, but it can also cause problems if you have a heart condition.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease Treatment

What Should I Discuss With My Doctor About My Heart Medications?
How Will My Doctor Determine If I Should Have Surgery for Heart Disease?
Why Is Heart Disease Harder to Treat in Women?
How Important Are Diet and Exercise in Treating Heart Disease?