What are the symptoms of ischemic heart disease?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Symptoms of ischemic heart disease include chest pain, referred to as angina, shortness of breath, and heart attack. Chest pain does not last long and may, especially in women, be experienced as arm, back or abdominal pain. Because the heart is being deprived of oxygen-rich blood, these symptoms may worsen during exercise or other activities that cause exertion. If you have a heart attack, you may experience severe chest or arm pain, sweating and shortness of breath. A woman may also become nauseous and have jaw or back pain. On the other hand, heart attacks sometimes have no visible symptoms.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease Symptoms

Ask the Experts: Heart Disease Symptoms
Ask the Experts: Heart Disease Symptoms
Heart disease is the leading killer of Americans, but it can be prevented. The first step in prevention is knowing the signs. In the video, Robin Mill...
Should I talk to my doctor about my ischemic heart disease symptoms?
Ischemic heart disease often progresses without symptoms. Your first symptom may be a heart attack, ...
What is tachycardia?
Texas Cardiac Arrhythmia InstituteTexas Cardiac Arrhythmia Institute
Tachycardia is a heart-rhythm disturbance, or arrhythmia. An electrical signal in the heart causes a...
What Are Some Signs of Heart Disease in Women?