Is there a link between my heart and my teeth?

If you have gingivitis or gum disease you have a higher risk of having a heart attack.

Research has been inconclusive as to precisely why, but patients with gum disease are almost twice as likely to also have heart disease.

One theory is that bacteria in the mouth travels in the bloodstream into the arteries and contributes to atherosclerosis -- hardening of the arteries from build-up of a fatty substance called arterial plaque. A second theory is that bacterial infection in the mouth leads to inflammation throughout the body, including the arteries. This inflammation can damage the artery walls and lead to the build-up of arterial plaque that can cause heart attack, stroke and other medical problems.

Though researchers do not yet understand why there is a correlation between heart disease and gum (periodontal) disease, patients with a history of either should be sure to receive regular dental care and cardiovascular check-ups. Managing one disease may help you manage the other.
Although it is has not yet been scientifically proven, it is thought that impaired oral health could increase risk of heart disease. This may happen in one of two ways. The first way is that harmful plaque bacteria could enter the bloodstream and become attached to fatty plaques in your coronary arteries. These plaques may break off and cause the formation of a blood clot, resulting in a stroke or heart attack. The other way is that periodontal diease, which is local inflammation in the gums, can contribute to the body's overall burden of inflammation, an important factor in several health conditions, including heart disease.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease and Oral Health

Healthy Teeth, Healthy Heart
Healthy Teeth, Healthy Heart
Most everyone knows that a daily flossing helps promote healthy teeth and gums, but that may be just the tip of the iceberg. Research suggests that th...
How can healthy gums improve heart health?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
There is no conclusive research showing that healthy gums mean a healthy heart, however, studies ind...
Can gum disease affect your heart’s health?
Nicholas M. Dellorusso, DMDNicholas M. Dellorusso, DMD
There is a lot of talk in the media about the relationship between coronary artery disease and gum d...
Is There a Link Between My Heart and My Teeth?