Are antibiotics safe for people with heart problems before dental work?

Prophylactic antibiotics have routinely been prescribed for people undergoing dental work who also had existing heart problems because it had been accepted that there is a link between dental bacteremia (the presence of bacteria in the blood) and endocarditis (an inflammation of the inner layer of the heart). Individuals with pre-existing heart problems tend to have a higher incidence of endocarditis. However, the American Heart Association and the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence in the UK have withdrawn support for this practice of prophylactic antibiotics because the danger from overuse of antibiotics outweighs any other potential risks. Regular tooth brushing, flossing and even chewing gum are now recognized to dislodge as much, if not more, bacteremia than most dental procedures.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease and Oral Health

Healthy Teeth, Healthy Heart
Healthy Teeth, Healthy Heart
Most everyone knows that a daily flossing helps promote healthy teeth and gums, but that may be just the tip of the iceberg. Research suggests that th...
Why should I tell my dentist that I have a heart murmur?
Your dentist should know about a heart murmur so he or she can take steps to keep any symptoms f...
How are healthy teeth and gums linked to heart health?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
“Don’t forget to brush your teeth!” You probably grew up hearing your parents’ frequent reminder...
Is There a Link Between Oral Health and Heart Disease?