What Is Heart Disease?
Heart disease, sometimes called cardiovascular disease, is a term that covers a wide variety of conditions that make it harder for your heart to perform its life-sustaining function. The most common forms of heart disease include coronary artery disease (CAD), congestive heart failure and stroke. Learn about these conditions, as well as ways to keep your ticker strong for a long, healthy life.
Is it Time
We Can Help Find One Near You
AskMDGet personalized advice for managing coronary artery disease
The number of Americans who die from heart disease each year
CDC/American Heart Association
Heart Disease Q&As
Charles W. Phillips, MD
Henrico Doctors' Hospital - HCA Virginia
What are the symptoms of a heart attack?
Classic symptoms of a heart attack/myocardial infarction, are an uncomfortable sensation of aching or pressure in the central chest . . .
- Q How can a woman lower her risk for heart disease?
- Q How dangerous is heart disease for women?
- Q What are the risk factors for heart disease?
- Q Should I worry about heart disease if I'm under 40?
- Q How can I reduce my risk of heart disease?
- Q Is it safe for people with heart disease to exercise?
- Q What kinds of exercise can help prevent heart disease?
- Q Can changing my diet help prevent heart disease?
- Q How can poor sleep cause heart disease?
- Q What can I do to prevent heart disease as I age?
Heart Disease Action Plans
If you've been diagnosed with heart disease or you're concerned you might be at risk, follow these action plans for heart health.
10-Step Plan for a Healthy Heart Avoid Smog for Your Heart's Sake Eat More Fiber for a Healthy Heart Prevent Heart Problems with a Flu Shot Learn More: See All Heart Disease Articles
Heart Disease Videos
Diet and Nutrition
7 Best Foods for Your Heart
Eating for heart health isn't just about skipping french fries. Just as important is what's on your plate. Find out which foods help maintain a healthy heart.
4 Ways A Woman's Heart Differs from a Man's Heart
While chest pain is the most common heart attack symptom for both sexes, there are four key differences in how heart disease presents, is diagnosed and is treated in women.