What Is Heart Disease?
Heart disease, sometimes called cardiovascular disease, is a term that covers a wide variety of conditions that make it harder for your heart to perform its life-sustaining function. The most common forms of heart disease include coronary artery disease (CAD), congestive heart failure and stroke. Learn about these conditions, as well as ways to keep your ticker strong for a long, healthy life.
Is it Time
We Can Help Find One Near You
AskMDGet personalized advice for managing coronary artery disease
The number of Americans who die from heart disease each year
CDC/American Heart Association
Heart Disease Q&As
Ashesh Parikh, MD
Medical Center Alliance
How does oral health affect heart disease?
When your mouth is unclean, or you have an abscess or cavity that goes untreated, that bacteria gets swallowed with saliva ...
- Q What can be done to reduce the cost of cardiovascular disease?
- Q How much does cardiovascular disease cost?
- Q How does cardiovascular disease affect women?
- Q Why aren’t women equally represented in heart disease research?
- Q What are the dangers of not including women in heart disease research?
- Q What is cardiac tamponade?
- Q What have we learned in recent years about women and heart disease?
- Q Can a healthy person get heart disease?
- Q Does heart disease differ between men and women?
- Q What is the Framingham risk score?
Recent Heart Disease Articles
If you've been diagnosed with heart disease or you're concerned you might be at risk, follow these action plans for heart health.
Med-Free Ways to Help Your Heart Women Too Often Missing from Heart Disease Research Surprising Signs Your Heart Health is at Risk Eat Red to Protect Your Heart See All Articles
Heart Disease Videos
7 Things Sabotaging Your Heart Health
Learn about some of the cardiovascular dangers that are less obvious.
Top Ten Social HealthMakers: Heart Disease
These influencers are working to make a difference in heart-health.