What Is Heart Disease?
Heart disease, sometimes called cardiovascular disease, is a term that covers a wide variety of conditions that make it harder for your heart to perform its life-sustaining function. The most common forms of heart disease include coronary artery disease (CAD), congestive heart failure and stroke. Learn about these conditions, as well as ways to keep your ticker strong for a long, healthy life.
Is it Time
We Can Help Find One Near You
AskMDGet personalized advice for managing coronary artery disease
The number of Americans who die from heart disease each year
CDC/American Heart Association
Heart Disease Q&As
American Heart Association-Stroke Association
What causes a heart attack?
A coronary attack (heart attack) occurs when the blood flow to a part of the heart is blocked (often by a blood clot). This happens because coronary arteries that supply the heart with blood. . .
- Q Who should be screened for aortic dissection?
- Q How serious is aortic dissection?
- Q What are the risk factors for aortic dissection?
- Q Is aortic dissection hereditary?
- Q What can be done to reduce the cost of cardiovascular disease?
- Q How much does cardiovascular disease cost?
- Q How does cardiovascular disease affect women?
- Q Why aren’t women equally represented in heart disease research?
- Q What are the dangers of not including women in heart disease research?
- Q What is cardiac tamponade?
Recent Heart Disease Articles
If you've been diagnosed with heart disease or you're concerned you might be at risk, follow these action plans for heart health.
Heart Disease Topics to Discuss with Your Doctor Improve Endothelial Function with an Oatmeal Breakfast Healthy-Heart Diet: Olive Oil Health Benefits Revealed 4 Reasons Your Arteries Are Hardening See All Articles
Heart Disease Videos
7 Things Sabotaging Your Heart Health
Learn about some of the cardiovascular dangers that are less obvious.
Top Ten Social HealthMakers: Heart Disease
These influencers are working to make a difference in heart-health.