What volume of sound can cause hearing loss?

Continual exposure to any sound above 85 decibels can cause hearing loss. If you have to raise your voice to be heard by somebody else, the surrounding sound totals more than 85 decibels.

Eight hours of exposure to 90 decibels or more can cause damage, and any exposure to sounds over 140 decibels cause immediate damage.

At 90 decibels, a hair dryer and lawn mower can cause damage after just 2 hours-which is non-threatening for most of us (unless you have a big lawn or Rapunzel-esque hair). But it's very threatening for hairdressers and landscapers who are exposed to those noises all the time. And the louder it gets, the less time it takes to inflict damage. A rock concert, at 110 decibels, can cause permanent hearing loss in 45 minutes (but 3 minutes is considered the safe maximum for continuous 100-decibel noise).

Avoiding loud noises--and protecting your ears with plugs when exposed to them--are the best things you can do to preserve your hearing.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

Is Noise Destroying Your Hearing?
Is Noise Destroying Your Hearing?
The modern world is a noisy place: the shriek of ambulance sirens, the blare of the television, the jackhammer of construction—the list goes on. Yet a...
Should I talk to my doctor about my hearing impairment symptoms?
Yes, you should talk to your doctor about your hearing impairment symptoms. Aside from the social fr...
How can I prevent hidden hearing loss?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
To prevent hidden hearing loss, avoid exposure to loud sound. That's easier said than done. Everyone...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing