What should I consider before signing a contract for a hearing aid?

Before signing a contract for a hearing aid, always look at the fine print to know what you’re paying for.

Dr. David M. Vernick, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (ENT Specialist)

Before buying a hearing aid, it's a good idea to meet with more than one qualified hearing aid dispenser so that you can compare prices and service contracts. Evaluate the service contracts carefully. A contract should allow you to get a partial refund if the hearing aid you buy doesn't work out for you after about a month. If you want to return the hearing aid during or at the end of your defined trial period, you should receive your money back for the hearing aid, but it's fair for the audiologist or other dispenser to be paid for the time spent fitting and adjusting it. If the contract requires you to pay in full for the hearing aid even if it proves unhelpful to you, consider going elsewhere.

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

Hearing Aids 101: Here’s What You Should Know
Is the volume on your television steadily creeping upward? Do you find yourself saying “Would you repeat that?” frequently during conversations? These...
How should I help a loved one with hearing loss?
Mary VokurkaMary Vokurka
Hearing loss can definitely be trying. My father is extremely hard of hearing. It took years for us ...
How can I protect my ears from noise-induced hearing loss at work?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
A branch of the U.S. Department of Labor, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), ...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing