Does Usher syndrome affect children differently than adults?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Usher syndrome is an inherited condition that affects most children from birth. Sometimes symptoms develop into the teenage years, however. If both parents are carriers of the Usher syndrome gene, it can be passed on to their children. Usher syndrome is present at birth and may progressively worsen over throughout childhood and into adulthood.

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

Is Noise Destroying Your Hearing?
Is Noise Destroying Your Hearing?
The modern world is a noisy place: the shriek of ambulance sirens, the blare of the television, the jackhammer of construction—the list goes on. Yet a...
Is hearing loss genetic?
Frankfort Regional Medical CenterFrankfort Regional Medical Center
Hearing loss is genetic and can be presented in early childhood or even in late adulthood.
How can I understand people when they are speaking if I have hearing loss?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There are some things you can do to facilitate understanding someone who's speaking to you if you ha...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing