How much does it cost to treat a hearing impairment?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated in 2004 that the cost of lifetime treatment for a person with hearing impairment would be about $417,000, not including outpatient visits to the hospital and interpreters. Here's the breakdown:
  • 6 percent of this cost is from direct medical treatment like medications, hospital stays, and doctor appointments;
  • 30 percent is from nonmedical fees like special education or house modifications;
  • 63 percent is the indirect cost of hearing impairment, such as lost wages from physical limitations in the workplace.
Hearing aids and cochlear implants are expensive, but sometimes you can qualify for insurance coverage or federal aid.

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

What Causes Hearing Loss—and How to Lower Your Risk
We all know someone who displays the classic signs of difficulty hearing: They run the television with its volume blaring or maintain the conviction t...
How can I assess the severity of my hearing loss?
David M. Vernick, MDDavid M. Vernick, MD
Circle the number of points next to the answer that best describes your hearing.1. I have a problem ...
How common is hearing loss?
Hearing loss is so common that one of my colleagues says hearing loss doesn't run in families-it run...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing