What do I need to know about caring for someone with hearing damage?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
When caring for someone with hearing damage, it is important to remember that they may experience depression, anxiety, and anger if the damage has led to hearing loss and impaired their ability to communicate. They may be frustrated by their impairment. They also may falsely believe you are angry with them. They may seem angry if they have lost some ability to hear their own voice and speak too loudly. Even if the loss is temporary, face them when speaking to them, which will help them hear you better and read your lips. The person may need help to get to medical appointments; driving with hearing loss is dangerous for those not practiced in driving using full-view mirrors or other such equipment. 

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

what are the symptoms of conductive hearing loss ?
People are usually alerted to their conductive hearing loss if they notice that they are having more...
how can my occupation affect my hearing ?
Occupational hearing loss occurs as a result of workers' exposure to loud noise. Noise levels over 8...
how can i protect my ears from noise-induced hearing loss at work ?
A branch of the U.S. Department of Labor, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), ...
do childhood earaches cause hearing loss later in life ?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
An earache itself won’t cause hearing loss, but an ear infection that goes untreated can lead to hea...