What do I need to know about caring for someone with hearing damage?

When caring for someone with hearing damage, it is important to remember that they may experience depression, anxiety, and anger if the damage has led to hearing loss and impaired their ability to communicate. They may be frustrated by their impairment. They also may falsely believe you are angry with them. They may seem angry if they have lost some ability to hear their own voice and speak too loudly. Even if the loss is temporary, face them when speaking to them, which will help them hear you better and read your lips. The person may need help to get to medical appointments; driving with hearing loss is dangerous for those not practiced in driving using full-view mirrors or other such equipment. 

Continue Learning about Hearing Damage

Hearing Aids 101: Here’s What You Should Know
Is the volume on your television steadily creeping upward? Do you find yourself saying “Would you repeat that?” frequently during conversations? These...
How can my occupation affect my hearing?
Occupational hearing loss occurs as a result of workers' exposure to loud noise. Noise levels over 8...
What causes hearing loss?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Hearing loss can be caused by exposure to loud noise over the course of a lifetime. In that way, exp...
Listen Up! Don't Let Earbuds Affect Your Hearing