What color should my gums be?

Healthy gums are usually pink in color. In the early stage of periodontal (gum) disease, called gingivitis, the gums can become red, swollen and bleed easily. At this stage, the disease is still reversible and can usually be eliminated by daily brushing and flossing.

It is possible to have periodontal disease and have no warning signs, such as red or inflamed gums. That is one reason why regular dental checkups and periodontal examinations are very important. Treatment methods depend upon the type of disease and how far the condition has progressed. Good oral hygiene at home is essential to help keep periodontal disease from becoming more serious or recurring.

If you have healthy gums, they should be pale pink in color, but your racial makeup may be a factor in the color of your gums and make them appear darker. If you have darker skin, your gums also tend to be darker making uniformity of color important. As reddening and swelling of your gums may be a sign of infection or disease, contact your dentist immediately.

Continue Learning about Healthy Teeth & Mouth

What are good oral healthcare products I can give as gifts?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Consider giving a child a bucket filled with a few child-sized toothbrushes and tubes of childre...
Why is my mouth sensitive to spicy foods, mint toothpaste, and candy?
You may have a condition called dry mouth, which can cause sensitivity to spicy or salty foods, cand...
How Can a Healthy Smile Affect My Self Confidence?
What Your Tongue Says About Your Oral Health