How do my teeth - and my smile - change as I age?

The older you get, the more prone you are to tooth and gum problems that can affect your smile. Gum disease and erosion (when gums recede) are more likely as the soft tissue around your mouth gives way. You lose bone mass as you age, and that can cause your teeth to shift. As you age, you produce less saliva and may get dry mouth, a condition that can cause cavities and gum disease and ultimately tooth loss. Older teeth also wear down and get shorter, and nerve sensitivity lessens, so you may be unaware of a problem until it's caused damage to your tooth or gum. You may develop a "gummy" smile as your lower teeth become more exposed. Good dental hygiene and regular dentist visits can head off some of these effects on your smile.

As you age, your teeth get worn down naturally, and the soft tissue around the mouth descends. This can leave you with a Richard Nixon smile -- showing all lower teeth and no upper teeth. Teeth are going to move until they touch something that will make them stop. That might be a tongue, dental appliance, or other teeth. As teeth wear down and get shorter, this changes the normal tooth/gum ratio and gives the "gummy smile."
YOU: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Healthy Teeth & Mouth

How often should seniors visit the dentist?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
Seniors, as most people, should visit the dentist at least twice a year. Of course, there are people...
How can I find a dentist in a foreign country?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
The following are resources for finding a dentist in a foreign country: Before you travel abroad,...
What Your Tongue Says About Your Oral Health
How Can a Healthy Smile Affect My Self Confidence?