Is chewing the inside of my cheek dangerous to my health?

Chewing the inside of your cheek could affect your health. By chewing on the sensitive surface, you may damage it and cause a painful canker sore. Chewing on the inside of your cheek could also cause a bigger sore that could become infected. If you often chew on the same spot, a callus could form there. That might be uncomfortable and could get infected. 

A callous develops on the inside of your cheek if you continually chew on it.

Watch the video to learn more from Dr. Oz about whether chewing the inside of your cheek is dangerous to your health.

Chewing the inside of your cheek is not a good habit to have. It can lead to having a callous formed on the inside of your cheek and perpetuate the habit as that skin can feel uncomfortable and irritated. It also may be an indication that you are clenching and/or grinding your teeth as well.

Repeatedly chewing the inside of your cheek is not only painful, it can lead to mouth sores, which can interfere with your ability to maintain good oral hygiene. It can also interfere with your diet. If you are suffering from chewing the inside of your mouth and cheek, you need to uncover the source of the problem. Is it stress? Boredom? Talk to your dentist about your condition.

Continue Learning about Healthy Teeth & Mouth

What are roots of a tooth?
Tina L. Herington, DMDTina L. Herington, DMD
The root of the tooth is the part you do not normally see because it is anchored into the jaw bone. ...
What can be detected in a saliva test?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Researchers have studied saliva in an effort to detect tooth decay risk, periodontitis (gum dise...
What Your Tongue Says About Your Oral Health
How Can a Healthy Smile Affect My Self Confidence?