Is chewing the inside of my cheek dangerous to my health?

Repeatedly chewing the inside of your cheek is not only painful, it can lead to mouth sores, which can interfere with your ability to maintain good oral hygiene. It can also interfere with your diet. If you are suffering from chewing the inside of your mouth and cheek, you need to uncover the source of the problem. Is it stress? Boredom? Talk to your dentist about your condition.

Chewing the inside of your cheek is not a good habit to have. It can lead to having a callous formed on the inside of your cheek and perpetuate the habit as that skin can feel uncomfortable and irritated. It also may be an indication that you are clenching and/or grinding your teeth as well.

Chewing the inside of your cheek could affect your health. By chewing on the sensitive surface, you may damage it and cause a painful canker sore. Chewing on the inside of your cheek could also cause a bigger sore that could become infected. If you often chew on the same spot, a callus could form there. That might be uncomfortable and could get infected. 

A callous develops on the inside of your cheek if you continually chew on it.

Watch the video to learn more from Dr. Oz about whether chewing the inside of your cheek is dangerous to your health.

Continue Learning about Healthy Teeth & Mouth

Do discolored spots on my teeth increase the risk of cavities?
Philip M. Uffer, DDSPhilip M. Uffer, DDS
Not all spots are created equal If the spot indicates a weakness in the enamel (outer layer), the...
What is a perfectly proportioned mouth?
Yasaman S. Roland, DDSYasaman S. Roland, DDS
When your teeth and bite are in proper alignment, your mouth will be well proportioned. If the bite ...
What Your Tongue Says About Your Oral Health
How Can a Healthy Smile Affect My Self Confidence?