What are some tips for taking a good nap?

Carol Ash, DO
Pulmonary Disease
Some tips for a taking good nap: late afternoon is best, don't nap more than 40 minutes, and nap in a dark, quiet, calm place. In this video, I will explain the various factors that are most ideal for napping. 
Don't feel guilty if the idea of a little afternoon snooze sounds irresistible.

Naps can be great for you. They boost your mood, memory and performance. They increase alertness and make you more likely to drive safely. They even protect your heart from stress: After a tense event, your blood pressure bounces back to normal much faster if you can grab a quick nap that lets you recoup and regroup.

You just have to do it right. Here's how to get the most out of a siesta, even if you can only catch one on the weekends:
  • Keep it short. Start with 30 minutes and experiment. Some people feel refreshed in just 10 or 15 minutes; others need 45. Much longer and you'll likely feel groggy afterward.
  • Aim for midafternoon. That's when the postlunch energy sag strikes. If you snooze much past 3 p.m., you may have trouble sleeping at night.
  • Got a hammock? Nap there. Adults, just like babies, love to be rocked to sleep. In fact, you'll fall into deep, restful sleep faster in a gently rocking hammock than in a stationary bed.
  • Get comfy. Kick off your shoes, loosen tight clothing and darken the room. If you don't have a hammock, stretch out on your bed (not the couch). Underscoring the association between your bed and sleep keeps daytime napping from interfering with nighttime bliss (the falling asleep part, not the other stuff).

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

Do Early Birds Live Longer Than Night Owls?
Q: I hear people who are night owls aren’t as healthy as morning people. My mom rarely went to sleep before 1AM and died at the age of 65, and I have ...
What's a good breathing exercise to help me sleep?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
Studies show that relaxation techniques such as deep abdominal breathing help to induce distal vasod...
How can I make my room more conducive to sleep?
To make your room more conducive to sleep, remove anything that can be distracting, including TV, co...
How to Clean Up Your Brain
How to Clean Up Your Brain