What should I do if I can't fall asleep?

The first thing to do if you often have trouble falling asleep is to try to figure out why. Things that may make it more difficult to fall asleep include having caffeine in the afternoon or evening, drinking alcohol in the evening (it may make it easier to fall asleep, but not stay asleep), unresolved issues that are causing you anxiety or stress, and lack of exercise. If taking care of the above issues doesn't help you fall asleep, you could consider taking the supplement melatonin or seeing your primary care physician.

It happens: You go to bed tired only to find yourself tossing and turning. If this happens to you, get up and try one of these sleep remedies: Read a book until you feel drowsy; do some slow, gentle stretches and deep breathing exercises or try scenting your pillow with lavender. If it's nagging or racing thoughts that won't let you nod off, try jotting down your worries on paper so you can sleep better.

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

can poor sleep make me sick ?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
if you've ever found yourself sniffling and sneezing after battling jet lag, then you already kn...
how can i make my room more conducive to sleep ?
To make your room more conducive to sleep, remove anything that can be distracting, including TV, co...
how can i have a sleep vacation at home ?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Around the world, hotels, spas and even nightclubs are designing getaways that cater to a sleep-...
how to help kids get back on a normal sleep schedule