How can I stop sleeping so much?

If you are sleeping too much, it's time to build your personal sleep plan—a plan that will decrease excessive sleeping and fatigue and help you feel like you again. Ready?

Start with the knowledge that you can and will improve your sleep. You need to. Your health and happiness depends on it.

Then take a moment to consider:
  • When and where you sleep
  • What's causing your excessive sleeping—environment or biology?
  • Whether you need a sleep test
  • Your exercise habits
  • The medications and supplements you take
  • Whether you need help for depression
  • If you need to see the doctor
On the left side of a piece of paper, make a list of what you suspect may be making you sleep so much. On the right, make a list of what might help ease these problems—from lifestyle changes to getting medical help. Tackle them one at a time.

Lifestyle changes are your first and best option to improving your sleep. If you are still struggling, talk to your doctor about what might be causing your excessive sleep. Treating the cause is the best way to get your energy back.

Whatever you do, try to maintain a consistent sleep schedule of about eight hours of sleep between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. Don't give up. A good night's sleep will improve your quality of life, help you help others, help you be more energetic, and improve your overall health.

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

Pink is the New White Noise
Pink is the New White Noise
In the 2005 thriller White Noise, Michael Keaton plays a man who comes to believe that his recently deceased wife is contacting him through the static...
Can sleep help reduce the signs of aging?
When you sleep, skin cells can regenerate, and facial muscles, which create lines during waking hour...
What are the advantages of sharing a bed with my partner?
Carol Ash, DOCarol Ash, DO
Given our busy, demanding world these days, sharing a bed with your partner promotes better intimacy...
Why Do I Wake Up Feeling Like I Haven't Slept?