How can I reset my body clock to sleep better?

Carol Ash, DO
Pulmonary Disease
The best way to reset your body clock to sleep better is awareness of the cues that set that clock; waking at the same time every day helps set that rhythm. Watch internist and sleep expert Carol Ash, DO, explain why good sleep habits are important.
If you can't adjust your life to your body's preferred sleep schedule, there are a few techniques to reset your internal clock:
  • Light therapy, which involves exposure to a full spectrum lamp, LED light, or sunlight, for 30 to 90 minutes upon wakening. Light therapy is often paired with darkness therapy, or dimming the lights a few hours before bedtime.
  • Chronotherapy attempts to reset your body's internal clock by manipulating bedtimes. This therapy can sometimes involve controlled sleep deprivation, so it's important to consult a doctor before attempting chronotherapy.
  • Melatonin, taken an hour before bedtime, can often induce sleepiness.
Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
You'd be amazed by the power of sleep when it comes naturally just by regulating your sleep habits. Your body will respond and adapt to the sleep cycle you put it on. If your body clock is truly off, try getting some natural morning sunlight on you, do some exercise during the day, don't stay up until the wee hours of the morning cleaning house, and set aside time to wind down before bedtime. Yes, it's as simple as that!
Mom Energy: A Simple Plan to Live Fully Charged

From celebrated dietitian Ashley Koff and fitness trainer to the stars Kathy Kaehler comes Mom Energy, an exciting new way for moms to tap into their own natural and renewable sources of...

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

Don’t Let Light Pollution Keep You Up at Night
Chances are you’ve spent more than one night tossing and turning—up to 70 million U.S. adults have a sleep disorder. But what can help you sleep bette...
What can help me get more comfortable in bed?
There are many reasons people have difficulty relaxing comfortably in bed -- including a bedroom...
How can sleeping with my pet be harmful to my health?
Some of the health risks of sharing a bed with your pet are poorer sleep quality (due to being awake...
Can a Lack of Adequate Sleep Harm My Health?