How can I get support from my partner in changing my sleep habits?

Your efforts to improve your sleep may significantly change your current sleep habits, and that, in turn, can affect the sleep of a spouse or significant other.

Communication with your sleep partner is essential. Before you make changes, talk to the person you live with. Let your partner know what your goal is, why you would want to make changes to your current routines, and why his/her help is important to your success. Be open to compromise. A 9:15 P.M. bedtime may be great for you, but it may not be for your sleep partner. Discuss how you can make it work for both of you. It may take your going to bed first and your significant other watching television in another room instead of the bedroom. Remember, if you want help and support, you need to be clear about what you want the other person to do, and be willing to compromise.
Living SMART: Five Essential Skills to Change Your Health Habits Forever

The myriad of books and programs that encourage people to stop smoking, get organized, spend less, or exercise more tend to focus on what or why to change, but rarely explain how to change. Living...

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

Pink is the New White Noise
Pink is the New White Noise
In the 2005 thriller White Noise, Michael Keaton plays a man who comes to believe that his recently deceased wife is contacting him through the static...
What are some tips for taking a good nap?
Carol Ash, DOCarol Ash, DO
Some tips for a taking good nap: late afternoon is best, don't nap more than 40 minutes, and nap in ...
How does sleep affect the skin?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
If you sleep too little, you're not giving the body time to repair itself. The nervous system has tw...
What Foods Should I Eat to Help Me Sleep Better?