How are men's and women's sleep cycles different?

We all know that men and women have different sleep tendencies -- think of all those early bird/night owl partnerships out there -- but we’re now beginning to understand more about why gender matters when it comes to sleep. I was particularly interested in a recent study that shows evidence of some fundamental biological differences between men’s and women’s sleep.

In this study, researchers observed the circadian cycles of 157 men and women between the ages of 18 to 74, measuring melatonin levels and body temperature in order to track the 24-hour sleep-wake cycle. Over the course of a monthlong inpatient sleep period, researchers found significant differences between men and women in both the timing of their circadian clocks -- which help govern sleep times and wake times -- and the duration of the circadian clock itself. Among those differences:
  • Women’s circadian clocks are set to an earlier hour than men’s, making them more inclined to fall asleep earlier and also to wake earlier. Women showed a stronger inclination for activity earlier in the day than men.
  • Circadian cycles were actually shorter for women than for men, by six minutes. Even a slight difference can have significant impact on nightly sleep and on energy levels during the day. Think about a clock that runs a handful of minutes behind every day. Over time, those minutes really add up!
  • Not only did women’s circadian clocks generally run earlier and shorter than men’s, but also many more women had internal clocks that ran a full cycle in under 24 hours.

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

Get Caught Napping: Why Kids Need More Sleep
In 2016, when Cincinnati Reds’ pitcher Homer Bailey turned his back on home plate while the San Diego Padres’ Wil Myers lit off third based and stole ...
How can my bed partner alert me to poor sleeping habits?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Your bed partner can be a valuable resource to help you discover how you sleep. Watch as Dr. Michael...
What chemicals are involved in sleep and wakefulness?
Interestingly, sleep is your body's default state; you're supposed to be in a sleep state all the ti...
How Can Sleeping Too Much Be Harmful to My Health?