How can my kids' bedtime and midnight snacks affect their weight?

Kids -- teens especially -- are particularly prone to late and erratic bedtimes, midnight snacks and a general lack of sufficient sleep, which can lead to weight gain. We know that adolescents require more sleep than adults, but they’re too often making do with much less sleep than they need to function well, and with obesity an increasingly common health problem for children as well as adults, new research provides yet another reason kids and teens need the structure of a sleep schedule -- one that includes curbing eating at a reasonably early hour. Weight problems that develop during childhood and adolescence can have long-term consequences that affect health for a lifetime. Let’s give our kids a healthy start by helping them develop the skills they need to eat and sleep well.

Continue Learning about Healthy Sleeping

How to Get Better, Restful Sleep as You Age
In Woody Allen’s 1973 sci-fi comedy Sleeper, Miles Monroe, a jazz musician and owner of the Happy Carrot health-food store, awakens after being cryoge...
Is sleep good for my heart?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Absolutely.  There is some data to suggest that those who sleep more than 7 hours are less likely to...
Does Sticking to a Sleep Schedule Really Help? I Followed One for 30 Days to Find Out
Does Sticking to a Sleep Schedule Really Help? I Followed One for 30 Days to Find OutDoes Sticking to a Sleep Schedule Really Help? I Followed One for 30 Days to Find OutDoes Sticking to a Sleep Schedule Really Help? I Followed One for 30 Days to Find OutDoes Sticking to a Sleep Schedule Really Help? I Followed One for 30 Days to Find Out
I went to bed and woke up at the same time every day; extra energy was just one of the reasons it was awesome. I’ve always had problems getting up in ...
Can My Partner's Snoring Affect My Health?