Why is it important to keep the skin hydrated?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
When skin is well-hydrated, it is more plump and resilient. This is due, at least in part, to an ingredient in the skin called hyaluronic acid. The job of hyaluronic acid in the skin is to hold water. When there is adequate water from inside and out the skin looks healthier and more vibrant and is less prone to wrinkles. It is important to drink lots of fluids throughout the day for best results. You’ve probably heard that drinking six to eight glasses of water a day is a good idea but you may need more or less depending on your activity level. Coffee and sodas do not count as water because they contain caffeine which is a diuretic, meaning that they draw water out of your system and your skin.

Continue Learning about Healthy Skin

Fresh Fruit, Fresh Complexion
Fresh Fruit, Fresh Complexion
You really can fight wrinkles from the inside out. And there's a fruit that can lead the charge. It's papaya. What makes papaya so perfect? Easy. Vit...
Eat This for Breakfast for Smoother Skin
Maybe you eat eggs for breakfast because of their awesome power to control your appetite. But here's another reason to give eggs a place at the breakf...
Keep Skin Smooth with This Creamy Snack
Keep Skin Smooth with This Creamy Snack
The right foods can help you put your best face forward. And here's a creamy, savory snack to help get you started: hummus. This dip, made from puree...
How can dust hurt my skin?
How can dust hurt my skin? Stuff you'll often find in dust -- like dust mite and cockroach debris --...