Why is it important to keep the skin hydrated?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
When skin is well-hydrated, it is more plump and resilient. This is due, at least in part, to an ingredient in the skin called hyaluronic acid. The job of hyaluronic acid in the skin is to hold water. When there is adequate water from inside and out the skin looks healthier and more vibrant and is less prone to wrinkles. It is important to drink lots of fluids throughout the day for best results. You’ve probably heard that drinking six to eight glasses of water a day is a good idea but you may need more or less depending on your activity level. Coffee and sodas do not count as water because they contain caffeine which is a diuretic, meaning that they draw water out of your system and your skin.

Continue Learning about Healthy Skin

Eat This for Breakfast for Smoother Skin
Maybe you eat eggs for breakfast because of their awesome power to control your appetite. But here's another reason to give eggs a place at the breakf...
Tips to Manage Your Child's Eczema
Tips to Manage Your Child's Eczema
How Does Tanning Cause Skin Damage?
How Does Tanning Cause Skin Damage?
Why Should I Avoid Using a Tanning Bed?
Why Should I Avoid Using a Tanning Bed?