Why do scabs form?

If you've ever crashed a skateboard or peeled a hangnail, you probably know about nature's Band-Aid-the scab.

A scab covers the wound almost immediately. A scab is formed when proteins from white blood cells that help coagulate blood come out of the blood stream to protect the wound-and actually accelerate the healing process.

Pus can also form at the wound site, but that's not as positive of a sign as a scab.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Healthy Skin

Eat This for Breakfast for Smoother Skin
Maybe you eat eggs for breakfast because of their awesome power to control your appetite. But here's another reason to give eggs a place at the breakf...
Are freckles inherited?
If you have freckles, there is a good chance that one of your parents has or had them, too. This...
6 Foods Your Skin Will Love
6 Foods Your Skin Will Love6 Foods Your Skin Will Love6 Foods Your Skin Will Love6 Foods Your Skin Will Love
Fill your plate with nutrient-rich foods for younger-looking, glowing skin. What's the best advice for healthy, beautiful, young-looking skin? Eat up!...
What Can I Do to Correct Uneven Skin Tone or Discoloration on My Face?