What makes skin flexible?

The dermis, the layer of skin under the outer layer, contains proteins called elastin and collagen that give skin flexibility. These proteins are reduced as we age. Watch the animation to learn more about skin and aging.

Continue Learning about Healthy Skin

Fresh Fruit, Fresh Complexion
Fresh Fruit, Fresh Complexion
You really can fight wrinkles from the inside out. And there's a fruit that can lead the charge. It's papaya. What makes papaya so perfect? Easy. Vit...
What is environmental skin aging?
Environmental skin aging is exactly that: aging accelerated by the elements you encounter from the o...
What are some antioxidants that protect my skin?
Antioxidants may help protect skin against free radical damage. Examples include vitamin C (asco...
How does the food I eat affect my skin?
Dr. Andrea Pennington, MDDr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Would you be surprised to learn that the telltale signs of what you have been eating -- or avoiding ...