What kinds of pollution can affect my skin?

Environmental pollution may affect skin similarly to smoking. Examples of environmental pollutants that can affect skin include:
  • Ozone: Although ozone in the upper atmosphere helps protect skin by preventing ultraviolet (UV) rays from reaching the earth's surface, in the lower atmosphere it is a free radical environmental pollutant that damages the skin.
  • Carbon monoxide: This element of factory and car emissions robs the skin of oxygen, which can give it a dull-gray cast and interfere with nutrient delivery.
  • Other: Dust and dirt can clog pores. Various chemical pollutants that are in the environment in small amounts contribute to skin aging.

Climate also can have an impact on how skin ages. For example, a dry environment can make dryness due to aging worse. Cold, chilly climates may exacerbate skin sensitivities and dryness as well.

Continue Learning about Healthy Skin

Eat These Foods for a Healthy Winter "Tan"
No need to feel pasty faced in February. You can get your summer blush back -- even midwinter -- just by making a few special picks in the produce ais...
Are freckles inherited?
If you have freckles, there is a good chance that one of your parents has or had them, too. This...
What is cellulite?
About 90% of women have cellulite, which is characterized by lumpy deposits of fat that lie just...
How do I keep my skin healthy and looking younger?
The secret to healthy and younger looking skin is a series of common sense steps. To learn more abou...