What do antioxidants do for the skin?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
A diet rich in antioxidants may improve the quality of the skin. Skin water content and fat levels increase (the more the better in the skin). The antioxidants lutein, alpha lipoic acid, vitamins C and E, carotenoids, and polyphenols improve the skin, whether they are eaten or applied in cream form. When the antioxidant vitamins C and E are included in the diet, there is less sun damage after ultraviolet light exposure. Of course, for the antioxidants to help the heart, brain, eyes, and other organs, they must be eaten.
Straight Talk about Cosmetic Surgery (Yale University Press Health & Wellness)

The public’s recent exuberance toward cosmetic surgery has spurred an unprecedented demand for appearance-changing procedures. But how can an average consumer discern the hype from solid truth? ...

Continue Learning about Healthy Skin

How Should I Take Care of My Oily Skin?
How Should I Take Care of My Oily Skin?
Tips to Manage Your Child's Eczema
Tips to Manage Your Child's Eczema
Why Should I Avoid Using a Tanning Bed?
Why Should I Avoid Using a Tanning Bed?
How Does Retinol Cream Work to Undo Sun Damage?