How can dust hurt my skin?

When you spruce up your house, you may also be helping your skin to stay healthier and younger looking. Stuff you'll often find in dust -- like dust mite and cockroach debris -- can be particularly irritating to skin. A recent study revealed that this debris actually makes it harder for damaged skin -- like red, raw, dry, winter-damaged knuckles, for example -- to heal itself.

Getting rid of dust mites and other allergens can be a tricky task. Here are a few special cleaning techniques that may help:
  • Steam it. Vacuuming helps remove dust mites, but it can also stir them up, so try steam cleaning your floors, furniture, carpets, and drapes.
  • Filter it. For your home's heating and cooling system, purchase a HEPA filter or other air purification system to help lower the mite count in your house.
  • Wash it. Dust mites love hanging out in bed with you. Wash your bed linens at least once a week in hot water, detergent and bleach (if possible).

Continue Learning about Healthy Skin

a virtual journey through the skin
a virtual journey through the skin
in this video , dermatologist doris day shares an up close look at the skin . learn how the different layers of the skin function and what the skin re...
what are some natural treatments for healthy skin ?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Apart from a healthy diet, any attempt at healthy skin must include a regular fitness routine that g...
6 foods your skin will love
6 foods your skin will love6 foods your skin will love6 foods your skin will love6 foods your skin will love
fill your plate with nutrient-rich foods for younger-looking , glowing skin . What the best advice for healthy , beautiful , young-looking skin ? eat ...
what can i do to fight the aging of the skin around my eyes ?