How does smoking affect the skin?

Cigs suffocate skin. Smoking breaks down collagen and can cut oxygen flow to the skin by as much as 30 percent, giving it a lifeless appearance. All of my patients who smoke look older than those of the same age who don’t.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Dr. Daniel Kapp
Dr. Daniel Kapp on behalf of MDLIVE
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon

Smoking begins to affect the skin almost immediately. It is the direct affect of the nicotine on the skin which causes a change in the blood flow to the skin. Because the skin changes recur in people who smoke, even at a young age, we can see the early onset of the facial changes and early wrinkling as a result of smoking. Smoking is also very detrimental to good outcomes in delicate plastic surgery operations. We prefer that patients discontinue smoking altogether, but if they do need to smoke, we prefer that they stop smoking for eight weeks before and eight weeks after any plastic surgical operation.

Continue Learning about Healthy Skin

Is our skin elastic?
Susan EvansSusan Evans
As we age, the cumulative effects of sun damage, weight fluctuations and genetics all may have a pro...
What do antioxidants do for the skin?
Keri Peterson, MDKeri Peterson, MD
Watch as internal medicine specialist Dr. Keri Peterson explains what antioxidants can do for the he...
What is subcutaneous tissue?
The deepest layer of the skin is the subcutaneous tissue. Mostly comprised of fat and hair follicles...
How Should I Take Care of My Oily Skin?
How Should I Take Care of My Oily Skin?