How does skin shed?

The epidermis, or the outermost layer of skin, is constantly changing. Skin cells from the lower layers make their way to the surface and eventually fall off; a process known as natural exfoliation or desquamation. These cells are held together by protein rivets called desmosomes, and at the appropriate time, enzymes in the skin dissolve the desmosomes to allow the cells to separate and shed one-by-one. When skin is too dry, the enzymes that degrade desmosomes cannot function properly, which leads to clumps of cells that shed together, instead of single cells that shed invisibly. These clumps can be seen as flakes or scales.

Continue Learning about Healthy Skin

Eat Sweet Potatoes for Wrinkle-Free Skin
No one wants to be a potato face. Unless you're talking about sweet potatoes. Turns out that the beta carotene in sweet potatoes helps combat rough, ...
How can anthocyanins help keep my skin healthy?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
Studies show that anthocyanins play an important disease-preventive role in the body by fortifyi...
What causes sudden itching?
Many people suffer from chronic itching. In Dr. Oz's view, itching is a minor form of pain, and ...
What foods help me have softer skin?
Effective skin care can come from the refrigerator. In this video, Dr. Oz discusses a common san...