What are the benefits of tongue cleaning?

Brushing your tongue helps keep your mouth healthy. This removes any excess plaque and odor causing bacteria. You can do this either by using your toothbrush or a tongue scraper.
There are several benefits associated with tongue cleaning. Many of the bacteria that cause bad breath actually live on your tongue, and using a tongue scraper to get rid of them will help you keep your breath in check. Similarly, the same bacteria that cause plaque and gingivitis can live on your tongue as well. Cleaning it regularly will help prevent tooth decay and other serious oral complications. Scraping your tongue daily may even help to prevent more serious health complications that arise when bacteria in your mouth enter your bloodstream and travel to other parts of your body. It’s not a bad idea to add tongue cleaning to your daily routine of brushing and flossing.

Continue Learning about Healthy Oral Hygiene

To Floss or Not to Floss?
To Floss or Not to Floss?
W.C. Fields once said, “Horse sense is the thing a horse has, which keeps it from betting on people.” For some reason that came to mind when we read n...
How do I prevent bacteria growth on my toothbrush?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Store the brush in an upright position if possible and allow it to air dry until using it again. Do ...
How can I avoid teeth stains?
There are some foods you can avoid to help reduce tooth stain. These include foods with dark pigment...
What Can I Do About My Bad Teeth?
What Can I Do About My Bad Teeth?