What are the benefits of flossing?

Flossing is important to maintaining good oral health. Cleaning between the teeth once a day with floss or interdental cleaners removes plaque from between the teeth, areas where the toothbrush can't reach. It is essential in preventing periodontal (gum) disease.
Carol Jahn
Dentist
Cleaning between your teeth is important because that is the place that most periodontal (gum) problems start. Flossing is one way to clean between teeth but often not the easiest or best. The good news is that in the last few years many new products have come on the market that can make it easier to clean between your teeth and achieve and maintain good gum health. These include floss holders, toothpicks, interdental brushes, and an oral irrigator/water flosser. These products are proven to remove plaque and improve gum health.
Flossing is necessary to keep teeth and gums healthy. Dental floss works to reach places between teeth that a tooth brush cannot reach. Flossing daily helps to remove deposits of food particles and bacteria that can lead to plaque and tartar buildup. Plaque is a thin colorless layer of bacteria that forms on and between the teeth. Plaque is the main cause of cavities, and periodontal disease, like gingivitis. Fortunately, flossing helps limit the buildup of bacteria between teeth, thereby lowering the risk of cavities and periodontal disease, as well as tooth loss.

Continue Learning about Healthy Oral Hygiene

To Floss or Not to Floss?
To Floss or Not to Floss?
W.C. Fields once said, “Horse sense is the thing a horse has, which keeps it from betting on people.” For some reason that came to mind when we read n...
How should I care for my teeth on a daily basis?
Peggy RosenPeggy Rosen
To take care of your teeth, you need to: Have good diets that contain large amount of vegetables...
How often should tongue cleaning be performed?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
The ADA recommends brushing your teeth twice daily for two minutes each. During this process, you sh...
What Can I Do About My Bad Teeth?
What Can I Do About My Bad Teeth?