How should I care for my teeth on a daily basis?

Peggy Rosen
Dentist
To take care of your teeth, you need to:
  1. Have good diets that contain large amount of vegetables and fruits.  No processed food, sugary candies and carbonated beverages
  2. Floss every time after you eat
  3. Brush your teeth after flossing
  4. Use water irrigation before going to bed
  5. Chew gum with xylitol few times a day
To reduce the risk of tooth decay and gum diseases, brush twice a day with fluoride toothpaste, use floss or another between the teeth cleaner once a day, eat a balanced diet and visit your dentist regularly.
Carol Jahn
Dentist
The best way to care for your teeth on a daily basis is to brush morning and evening with a fluoridated toothpaste and clean between your teeth once daily. The most recommended way to clean between teeth is with string floss. Unfortunately many people struggle to floss well and unless you can floss at a high level, you won't get the benefits. It's better to choose an alternative product like a floss holder, toothpick, interdental brush or Water Flosser. All have been shown to work as well as string floss. If you have braces, implants, crowns, bridges, or any type of periodontal problems, a Water Flosser goes deeper between teeth and under the gum line to reach hard to access areas that are sometimes inaccessible to traditional mechanical devices.
The best way to care for your teeth on a daily basis is by brushing twice a day with a soft-bristled brush to remove plaque. Use a toothpaste that contains fluoride to help prevent tooth decay. Use dental floss once a day to remove plaque from between your teeth, where the toothbrush can’t reach.
Jill A. Grimes, MD
Family Medicine
Take care of your teeth by brushing your teeth with a pea-sized amount of fluoride toothpaste, and take your time. You should brush for a full two minutes, at least twice per day. Add in flossing once per day, and that extra 30 seconds is very well spent. Limit carbonated and other sugary beverages, and when you drink them, try not to nurse them over several hours. Dentists recommend drinking a soda in less than 15 minutes -- treating it like a dessert. Then, go at least rinse your mouth with water if you can't brush those teeth.

Continue Learning about Healthy Oral Hygiene

To Floss or Not to Floss?
To Floss or Not to Floss?
W.C. Fields once said, “Horse sense is the thing a horse has, which keeps it from betting on people.” For some reason that came to mind when we read n...
How can I freshen my breath after eating garlic?
HealthCorpsHealthCorps
Eating fresh garlic is a wonderful health habit that can help to strengthen your immune system, but ...
Do I still need to brush my teeth if they are white?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
White teeth don't equal a healthy mouth. Listen as Dr. Maria Lopez Howell explains why brushing your...
What Can I Do About My Bad Teeth?
What Can I Do About My Bad Teeth?