What is in a sinus rinse?

Alen N. Cohen, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
A sinus rinse contains an isotonic mixture of distilled water and salt. In this video, sinus surgeon Alen Cohen, MD, FACS, of West Hills Hospital, explains how a sinus rinse helps keep the nose and sinuses healthy and prevents infections.
Most sinus rinses consist of either sterile/distilled water or saline water. The main usage of sinus rinses is for rehydration of dry and adherent (sticky) mucus to aid in its removal when blowing your nose or to remove potential allergens, like pollen or dust, which can irritate the nasal passages.

Continue Learning about Healthy Nose

What is balloon sinuplasty?
TriStar StoneCrest Medical CenterTriStar StoneCrest Medical Center
Many allergy sufferers also end up fighting chronic sinusitis. This happens because the paranasal si...
Why is my sense of smell so sensitive?
A person's nose can detect up to 10,000 smells, without being smell-sensitive. In this video, Dr...
Is there anything I can do as a WisePatient to prevent sinus complications?
Satish Govindaraj, MDSatish Govindaraj, MD
Pay attention to your sinus symptoms and take preventive steps like doing an saline wash, says S...
What is surgical septoplasty?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
A surgical septoplasty is useful for realignment of the midline structures of the internal nose. The...