Is poor nail health serious?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Nail health is usually nothing to worry about, but sometimes certain nail conditions can indicate an underlying disorder that is serious. For example, dark streaks or spots on nails can sometimes be melanoma, which is a serious form of skin cancer. Always see your doctor to have any nail abnormalities checked out.

Poor nail health can be a sign of a serious medical condition or just a sign that you should be taking better care of your nails. If you notice a change in your nails that concerns you, talk with your doctor about what the underlying cause could be.

Nail changes might be related to something as normal as aging, and some additional care can help you see improvements. Or it could be a sign of a more serious disease, in which case a good diagnosis and prompt treatment are very important. 

Continue Learning about Healthy Nails

How can I make my toenails grow faster?
How fast your nails grow is determined by several factors, including age, genetics, diet, and ph...
What are my options for fake nails?
Fake nails vary according to size and material. You can ask for artificial tips that just cover the ...
Sneak Peek: Are Gel Manicures Safe?
Sneak Peek: Are Gel Manicures Safe?
Health Clues from Your Fingernails
Health Clues from Your Fingernails