How does pregnancy affect nail health?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
Hormones during pregnancy can improve nail health as long as a woman's general health is good. During pregnancy-women generally have strong nails that grow faster than usual. However, some women's nails seem to break more easily. Note too that conditions such as infections or nail damage do not disappear with pregnancy.
It's hard to predict how pregnancy will affect your nail health. For some women, the added hormones of pregnancy mean faster nail growth and stronger nails. Other women may find their nails become more brittle and prone to splitting and breaking. To keep your nails healthy, trim them regularly (straight across and slightly rounded in the center for fingers, and straight across for toes), apply moisturizer regularly, and keep your nails clean and dry.

Continue Learning about Healthy Nails

What are some home remedies for keeping nails healthy?
Experts recommend the following steps you can take at home to help keep your nails healthy:Keep ...
How can I protect myself from dirty nail salons?
Nail salons can be dirty places with lots of health hazards. Learn how to protect yourself as Dr. Oz...
Health Clues from Your Fingernails
Health Clues from Your Fingernails
What Is the Best Way to Clip My Nails?
What Is the Best Way to Clip My Nails?