Does nail biting affect nail health?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Nail biting can affect nail health. Nail biting can weaken the nails and make them more susceptible to infections. Try a product that hinders nail biting, or see your doctor for tips on how to stop biting your nails.

Nail biting can contribute to poor nail health. When you bite your nails, you may be introducing germs and bacteria from your mouth to the nail area, where they can cause infection. Nail biting can also break the skin around your nails and cause hang nails, which increases your chances of infection. Because children tend to bite their nails or suck their fingers or thumbs, they are particularly at risk for hang nails and infections such as paronychia, an inflammation of the skin on either side of the nail caused by nail biting. 

Continue Learning about Healthy Nails

What causes changes in fingernails?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
All sorts of illnesses can make your fingernails look funny. Psoriasis and fungal infections are the...
How can I treat yellow nails?
If you hide your hands because of unsightly yellow nails, combining two supplements may be the trick...
Sneak Peek: Are Gel Manicures Safe?
Sneak Peek: Are Gel Manicures Safe?
What Is the Best Way to Clip My Nails?
What Is the Best Way to Clip My Nails?