What is the function of the ureters?

Jill Rabin
Allergy

The ureters are narrow, hollow, muscular tubes, approximately nine inches long, that connect the kidneys to the bladder. Each kidney has its own ureter through which urine passes.

Urine does not flow in a slow, steady stream along the length of the ureters into the bladder. The walls of the ureters are composed of smooth, involuntary muscles that contract at the rate of anywhere between one to five times per minute and, by means of regular, peristaltic waves and gravity, push urine in spurts of about 1.5 teaspoons toward the bladder for storage and for later elimination.

You are totally unaware when your ureters are working because they are completely out of your control and are set in motion by electrical impulses inside your brain.

Mind Over Bladder: I Never Met a Bathroom I Didn't Like!

Advance praise for Mind Over Bladder "Where is the closest bathroom?" If you listen hard enough, these are the words you hear from the lips of millions of women as they enter malls, lobbies, museums,...

Continue Learning about Healthy Kidneys & Urinary System

Healthy Kidneys & Urinary System

Your kidneys are shaped like beans and are about the size of your fist. They play a vital role in keeping the chemicals and water in your body balanced. Your urinary system removes a waste called urea from your blood after the foo...

d you eat is broken down in your body. Problems can occur in your kidneys and urinary system from aging, from illnesses or from injury. These problems can range from minor to life-threatening. If you're having kidney or urinary tract problems, you should see your doctor for an evaluation.