What are bladder stones?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Bladder stones occur when the minerals in your urine clump together to form crystals and then stones. Bladder stones are most likely to develop when urine becomes concentrated, perhaps due to frequent urinary tract infections, enlarged prostate, or damage to the nervous system. Symptoms of bladder stones include blood in the urine and pain or discomfort in the lower abdomen. Some bladder stones may be small enough to pass, while others may need to be removed surgically.
Picture of cystine stone in bladder

Continue Learning about Healthy Kidneys & Urinary System

A Tangy Treat That's Good for Your Bladder
Here's a diet "do" that may help keep your bladder cancer-free. Start your day with some yogurt. Later, have some more for a snack. Compared with the...
Baby Your Kidneys with This Winter Stew
Baby Your Kidneys with This Winter Stew
When the mercury starts to dip, warm up your insides with an all-bean chili. Your kidneys will be happier. Why? Because all beans means no meat -- an...
How does the urinary system normally work?
May M. Wakamatsu, MDMay M. Wakamatsu, MD
The job of your urinary system is to remove waste products from your blood and help maintain the...
What does it mean if I test positive for protein in my urine?
Proteinuria is the presence of large amounts of protein in the urine. The kidneys remove waste from ...