How can I live a normal life if I have only one kidney?

In general, most people with a single, healthy kidney have few problems. However, some long-term problems have been seen.

In some people who were born with a single kidney, or had a kidney removed, there is a chance of some slight loss in kidney function later in life. This usually takes 25 years or more to happen. There may also be a chance of having higher blood pressure later in life. However, most people with one kidney live healthy, normal lives. In other words, one healthy kidney can work as well as two.
About one in 500 people are born with a single kidney. Usually this is because the other kidney did not form normally. You can live a perfectly normal life with one kidney and, in fact, many people with a single kidney are unaware of the fact that they only have a single kidney.

Continue Learning about Healthy Kidneys & Urinary System

Is Holding It in Harmful to Your Health?
Manny Ramirez let it flow behind the Green Monster while playing left field for the Boston Red Sox. Michael Phelps did it in the pool of course, and a...
Baby Your Kidneys with This Winter Stew
Baby Your Kidneys with This Winter Stew
When the mercury starts to dip, warm up your insides with an all-bean chili. Your kidneys will be happier. Why? Because all beans means no meat -- an...
How much urine does my body produce every day?
Dr. Jill RabinDr. Jill Rabin
Each day the kidneys filter approximately forty gallons of blood but excrete only about 1 percent of...
What are the steps when performing CISC for boys?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Clean intermittent self-catheterization (CISC) for boys is done as follows: Gather everything nee...