What causes changes in hair texture?

Many factors can cause your hair to change in texture. Changes in hair texture are common during pregnancy, when hormones may also cause hair to fall out less and grow faster. Hormonal imbalances can cause normally soft body hairs in women to become coarse, dark, and noticeable. Changes in hair texture can also be caused by certain health conditions. Dry, brittle hair, for instance, can be caused by an underactive thyroid gland. A poor diet can also lead to dry and brittle hair.

Of course, how you take care of and style your hair can also affect its texture. Perming, relaxing, and dying your hair all can change how the hair looks and feels. Curling irons and flat irons, which both use heat, can also change hair texture, although the result is usually temporary.

Consult your doctor if you notice any sudden or unexplained changes in the texture of the hair on your body or head.

Continue Learning about Healthy Hair and Scalp

Is Your Hair Falling Out? This Condition May Be to Blame
There are roughly 150,000 hair follicles on your head, and it’s normal to lose around 50 to 150 strands of hair a day. More than that could indicate a...
Why can't some people grow long hair?
Some people have difficulty growing their hair beyond a certain length because they have a short act...
Should I be worried about my hair health?
Sometimes when your hair is unhealthy, it is because of other factors in your life. Dandruff may be ...
How Can I Prevent My Hair From Graying?
How Can I Prevent My Hair From Graying?