How should I take care of my child's hair?

Children's hair doesn't get greasy like adults' hair does, because their sebaceous glands do not produce significant amounts of oil until puberty. So you only need to wash it every few days. We recommend a gentle, tear-free shampoo. If your child has long hair, conditioner or spray-on detangler can help you avoid knots. Use a soft brush for fine hair. African American babies definitely don't need a hair wash more than once a week, since their skin and scalp are quite dry, and washing it can make it even drier.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Healthy Hair and Scalp

Is Your Hair Falling Out? This Condition May Be to Blame
There are roughly 150,000 hair follicles on your head, and it’s normal to lose around 50 to 150 strands of hair a day. More than that could indicate a...
Can wearing a tight ponytail cause my hair to fall out?
Lauren Streicher, MDLauren Streicher, MD
A patient with thick beautiful hair was upset because the hair around her hairline was thin and brok...
Why does my hair turn gray?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
It’s long been believed that people get gray hair when the cells in the hair follicle (called melano...
Should You Wash Your Hair Every Day?
Should You Wash Your Hair Every Day?