How can I reduce fat from meat in my diet?

There are several ways you can reduce the meat fat in your diet:

•  Choose lean cuts of meat. Look for key words, such as “loin,” “round,” “lean,” “choice,” and “select.”
  • Cut off all visible fat before or after cooking, and remove skin from chicken and turkey.
  • Broil, roast, grill, steam, or poach instead of frying.
  • Try quick-cooking methods, such as stir-frying, that use marinades or dressings with lots of seasonings to enhance juiciness and flavor.
  • Limit your portions of lean meat, fish, or poultry to 3–5 ounces per meal—about the size of a deck of cards. Half of a skinless, boneless chicken breast is about 3 ounces of meat.
  • Chill meat broth and drippings so the fat rises and solidifies. Then it can be skimmed off the top before serving or making gravy. You can also use this method to reduce the fat in canned or homemade broths and soups.

Laura Motosko, MSEd, RD

Choose lean cuts of meat including round or tenderloin cuts of beef, pork tenderloin and Canadian bacon. Trim visible fat from raw meat. After cooking ground meat, use a paper towel to absorb the grease. Consider moderate portion sizes of meat, about the size of a deck of cards, to avoid excess calories and fat.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating Guidelines

Helping You Recover From Nutrition Info Whiplash
Feeling whiplashed when it comes to sorting nutritional fact from fad? First you hear, “It’s fat that’s bad for you, not sugar!” Then, “No, sugar is b...
How can I eat sweets and be healthy?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Many of us love our sweets, but there are a lot of ways to satisfy your palette without going overbo...
What is a nutritional baseline?
Amy Jamieson-PetonicAmy Jamieson-Petonic
A nutritional baseline is a starting point for your healthcare provider with regard to your medical ...
Health and Our Diet
Health and Our Diet