How can I reduce fat from meat in my diet?

There are several ways you can reduce the meat fat in your diet:

•  Choose lean cuts of meat. Look for key words, such as “loin,” “round,” “lean,” “choice,” and “select.”
  • Cut off all visible fat before or after cooking, and remove skin from chicken and turkey.
  • Broil, roast, grill, steam, or poach instead of frying.
  • Try quick-cooking methods, such as stir-frying, that use marinades or dressings with lots of seasonings to enhance juiciness and flavor.
  • Limit your portions of lean meat, fish, or poultry to 3–5 ounces per meal—about the size of a deck of cards. Half of a skinless, boneless chicken breast is about 3 ounces of meat.
  • Chill meat broth and drippings so the fat rises and solidifies. Then it can be skimmed off the top before serving or making gravy. You can also use this method to reduce the fat in canned or homemade broths and soups.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating Guidelines

How Much Protein Do You Need?
How Much Protein Do You Need?
Understanding the Obesity Pandemic
Understanding the Obesity Pandemic
What Are Some Healthy Food Substitutions?
How Does Taste Impact Our Metabolic Process?