What foods should I avoid to stay healthy?

Lisa Oz
Health Education
Deciding to eat healthfully is in large part a matter of figuring out what not to eat. And eliminating -- or at least limiting -- the processed products in your diet is a good place to start. With that in mind, this is a list of things you may want to try to avoid in your home:
  • Artificial sweeteners
  • Artificial colors or flavors
  • Refined, processed foods
  • Non-organic meat and dairy 
Judy Caplan

Generally speaking there are certain groups of foods you should avoid eating on a regular basis. Once in a while we all eat foods we shouldn't but what you do every day is much more important to your overall health than a once in a while treat. Avoiding processed white flour products like breads, pizza, pretzels, cereals, crackers, and bagels is a good place to start. Avoid all hydrogenated oils. Avoid foods loaded with white sugar and high fructose corn syrup. Cut back on animal products that are high in fat and avoid processed meats. Instead of thinking about what to avoid, think about what to include! Fresh produce, legumes, seeds and nuts, and fresh fruit and whole grains.

Before beginning a program for health, it helps to remove unhealthy items from your pantry. Learn more on this topic in this video from Dr. Oz.

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating Guidelines

Redefining What’s Healthy (You Knew It All Along!)
Until the late 1800s bathing was considered unhealthy and a thin layer of dirt was thought to protect a person from bad elements in the air that could...
What type of liquid meal replacement should I eat for breakfast?
Marisa MooreMarisa Moore
I am not a fan of liquid meal replacements. Unlike solids, liquids don't keep you feeling full a...
What are some well-balanced breakfasts?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
A well-balanced breakfast includes foods from at least three out of the five food groups. Whole grai...
Add Pumpkin to Your Plate
Add Pumpkin to Your Plate