Is it okay for my child to skip meals?

When kids skip an occasional meal, it’s usually no big deal. Elementary school children don’t grow as quickly as adolescents do, so their energy needs remain lower until they reach puberty. (Then watch that grocery bill climb!) Even though you might feel sad because no one’s eating your fine, home-cooked meal, try not to stress about a kid who would rather play than eat. In fact, as long as your child’s growth is steady, encourage the playtime. That will fuel his metabolism and help him maintain a good body mass index (BMI). Just as long as high-fat, high-sugar, and high-calorie snacks, like cookies and chips, aren’t replacing meals, skipping an occasional meal is fine.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.
The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Children & Teens

Why You Should Talk to Your Kids About Unhealthy Food Ads
In 1955, when James Dean starred in Rebel Without a Cause, he made teen angst and defiance cool for a whole generation of kids. Well, now researchers ...
How can I make sure my child who is a vegetarian has a healthy diet?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Parents often struggle with getting their kids to eat vegetables. If your child chooses to be a ...
5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches
5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches5 Easy Tips for Quick and Healthy School Lunches
Avoid lunch-making stress with these simple ideas.
How to Get Picky Eaters to Love Vegetables