Is it okay for my child to skip meals?

When kids skip an occasional meal, it’s usually no big deal. Elementary school children don’t grow as quickly as adolescents do, so their energy needs remain lower until they reach puberty. (Then watch that grocery bill climb!) Even though you might feel sad because no one’s eating your fine, home-cooked meal, try not to stress about a kid who would rather play than eat. In fact, as long as your child’s growth is steady, encourage the playtime. That will fuel his metabolism and help him maintain a good body mass index (BMI). Just as long as high-fat, high-sugar, and high-calorie snacks, like cookies and chips, aren’t replacing meals, skipping an occasional meal is fine.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.
The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Children & Teens

What Are Some Ideas for Packing a Healthy School Lunch for My Child?
What Are Some Healthy Snacks That Kids Will Love?
How to Get Picky Eaters to Love Vegetables
What Are Some Healthy After-School Snacks I Can Have Ready for My Kids?