Are sport drinks good for kids?

Carol Cottrill

In my experience, most of the ‘sports beverages’ on the market today are either loaded with processed sugars, artificial dyes, potentially harmful stimulants, or some combination of the three! Not good for adults- even worse for little bodies. While sports drinks might do a decent job of promoting hydration, they also tend to cause blood sugar spikes and crashes, or ‘peaks and valleys’ as I like to say, which is not a sustainable and balanced energy solution. 

Sport drinks may benefit elite athletes like Lance Armstrong or Serena Williams, but kids should sip water instead. Sport drinks contain up two-thirds the sugar of sodas, and more than three times the sodium (salt). This comes as no surprise if you look at the ingredients list, which typically includes water, high-fructose corn syrup or sucrose, and salt. Many sport drinks also add the electrolyte potassium as well as color and flavor enhancers. The added sugar in sport drinks translates into extra calories and, potentially, unwanted pounds. While it’s a good thing to encourage kids to exercise and be active, chances are they will cancel out the calorie-burning benefits if they rehydrate with a sport drinks. Therefore, encourage them to lose the sport drinks.
Healthy Eating, Healthy Weight for Kids and Teens

In a world of fast food, supersized sodas, and televised temptations, this guide shows how to buck the obesity trend currently in the national spotlight—and have fun doing it. Using a family...

Continue Learning about Healthy Eating For Children & Teens

Limit Kids’ Sugar to Prevent Chronic Disease
In 1966, when Len Barry sang “1-2-3 … let’s fall in love, it’s easy (it’s so easy) Like takin’ candy from a baby,” he was nominated for a Grammy Award...
What can cause low bone density in children?
Not drinking milk and avoiding cheese and other dairy products (perhaps fearing gaining too much wei...
6 Healthy Party Snacks for Kids
6 Healthy Party Snacks for Kids6 Healthy Party Snacks for Kids6 Healthy Party Snacks for Kids6 Healthy Party Snacks for Kids
These creative and nutritious bites will be a huge hit with the little ones. 
What Are Some Healthy After-School Snacks I Can Have Ready for My Kids?