What is the nutritional value of salmon?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Salmon is an excellent source of protein, potassium, selenium, and vitamin B12. In addition, it is a very good source of niacin and phosphorous. A 31/2-oz (100 g) serving contains approximately 231 calories, 25 g of protein, and 85 mg of cholesterol. Wild salmon has more calories than leaner fish, such as mahi-mahi, because of its fatty acid content. A 31/2-oz (100 g) serving contains 13 g of fat, with 1,000 mg of EPA and 725 mg of DHA. Farmed Atlantic salmon has 690 mg of EPA and 1,490 mg of DHA per serving.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Health Value Of Foods

Almond Intervention
Almond Intervention
The American TV reality show Intervention ran for 14 seasons and covered every addiction from crack cocaine and methamphetamines to sex, gambling and ...
What is the nutritional value of pork?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Pork is an excellent source of protein. A 3.5 oz. (100 g) serving of fresh pork tenderloin, broiled,...
5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid
5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid5 Top Foods for Your Heart, Plus 1 to Avoid
What's best to eat for your ticker? A heart doctor weighs in.
How Often Should I Include Fish In My Diet, and What Kinds?